Moree Services Club

The Moree Services Club originally started in 1947 in the original Council Chambers building on the north east corner of Frome and Heber Street,  which is now occupied by the Moree TAFE college.  In 1968 the Club moved to its present location in Albert Street right next door the to the Albert Motel.  

The club’s mission is to provide its members and the community with a modern and progressive community focused Club and has in excess of 5000 members.  With a pro active Board Of Directiors, the facilities of the club are constantly looking at ways to improve facilities on offer to it’s club members.  During COVID 2020, the Club had a fresh coast of paint and opened a Coffee Bar.

Members are able to enjoy a wide variety of sports within the club, ranging from bowls to touch football, to fishing and darts and the list goes on. The club hosts weekly meat and produce raffles, member’s draws and entertainment.

Located at the entrace of the club are:

Two metal plaques which are dedicated to those who served in the South African War, 1899 to 1902. The first plaque depicts crossed bayonets in the middle of the Southern Cross constellation, while the second commemorates those who served in the war with their names and ranks.  These South Afica Memorial Plaques were provided by Graham Wilson, 2019.

 

INSCRIPTION

Top plaque

SOUTH
1899 1902
AFRICA

Bottom plaque

IN MEMORY 
OF THOSE
WHO SERVED

The Moree RSL Sub-Branch received a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Grant in September 2011 to restore the memorial situated at the front entrance to the Moree Services Club.

Constructed of brick and glass panels, it is a large, framed window structure commemorating those who served in World War I, World War II, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.

Inscription

LEST WE FORGET
1914 – 1918 1939 – 1945
Korea Malaya
Vietnam

LEST WE FORGET

 

Alex Stanley, World War One Veteran on right Moree Services Club February 1965 The Tribune by State Library of New South Wales collection